Monday, January 23, 2012

Thoughts before Frankenstein

Frankenstein. The classic horror story. Everyone has had childhood nightmares about a not-quite-alive green monster coming to eat them. Before my eleventh grade English class reads this creepy tale, I have a few thoughts to share.

Can man create life?
As a Christian, no, I do not believe man can develop another human being. That is God's territory. However, all religious beliefs put aside, I do believe it is possible. However, with the technology we have these day, the humanoid may not be as easy to create, nor as crude, as Dr. Frankenstein's monster.

Do I believe in immortality?
The answer to that is 'no.' As an avid Harry Potter fan, I do not believe that the Philosopher's Stone- or anything similar to it, for that matter- can exist. In contradiction to this, immortality can be achieved in other ways than living forever. Just look at the Greek and Roman achievements- we have never forgotten them.

Of all the books we have read in this class, I am most excited about reading Frankenstein. I just hope that it cracks up to my expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment